Psoriasis and Water Fasting

Psoriasis is a common skin condition that causes skin redness and irritation. Most people with psoriasis have thick, red skin with flaky, silver-white patches called scales. The skin grows much faster than surrounding skin and feels much thicker. This skin, now called scales, either fall of on their own or through rubbing or scratching

My Psoriasis

I developed psoriasis at about the same time I got sarcoidosis, and after a long round of prednisone and a number of inhalants, the sarcoidosis was gone leaving me with the psoriasis and now asthma as well. My doctor kept me on the inhalants, which there were three of, and prescribed a cream with a steroid in it for my psoriasis. It started on my knees and spread to my elbows, then my ankles, lower leg, and finally the back of my hands. It is currently making its way from my elbows to my hands. This is a very slow progression as I am talking about a period of 25 years. Over the period, I graduated to stronger and stronger creams and today I use Dovobet, which is very effective but seems to cause skin disruptions in other areas. All the creams I have used in the past have left the skin very thin and I regularly find my elbows or knees bleeding from minor bumps and rubs.

When I did my 21 day fast in 2010 the psoriasis did improve greatly but it was still there. The skin cells did seem to be multiplying at a slower rate and If I had kept going who knows what the result could have been. Doctor Joel Fuhrman, M.D., wrote in his book "Fasting and Eating for Health" the following, "My experience has shown that most patients psoriatic lesions improve if they fast long enough". A short fast of seven days does show improvement as I have experienced and a long fast can drastically improve the condition.

There are a few schools of thought as to the cause of psoriasis. One being a condition called leaky gut syndrome which is a damaged bowel wall that allows toxins, microbes, undigested food, waste, or larger than normal macromolecules to leak through and get into the bloodstream. This causes all kinds of problems including out of control immune system responses and inflammatory type responses.

Since my psoriasis did improve during my last 21 day fast I expect to see much better improvement this time around. I am at day 12 of my water fast as I write this and I do see definite improvements in the psoriasis especially my hands. That is the last place that it appeared and may be the first location to see great improvement. I do not expect it to be totally gone by the end of the fast as that will take a few months longer after the fast and will be dependent on my diet. I suspect a water fast would have the same beneficial effects on those with Eczema as well. My fast started August 29th, 2011 and will continue until my hunger returns, which I suspect will be between 40 and 60 days. I invite you to follow along at my blog where I will be providing pics, video, stats and commentary every couple of days.

Alan E. Worley
http://www.gordons-water-fast.com/
Please follow my blog which includes video to watch what a water fast can do and to learn the facts about fasting.


Original article

No comments: